Thursday, March 27, 2008

26 years old and I'm still living.

When I went to London my Junior year at GW, I booked the flight to arrive a few days before my program started. I got a hotel room for two nights as well in the Earl's Court area. I remember thinking how exciting it will be to not only go to London, but to have a few days by myself to sight see and explore. I can walk the streets and be anonymous for a few days without  schedules or obligations.

Upon landing at Heathrow I remember thinking how absolutely terrified I was. Did I fill out the right visas? Am I taking the right tube line? How do I get LBS? Though, I was still excited about the city.

When I finally got into the city, checked into the hotel and dropped off my stuff, it all hit me. This is what one call's free-will. I walked the neighborhood and stopped in at a fish and chips shop. It was almost an authentic London experience, except I suspect the people working the Fish and Chips counter were Vietnamese like me. I checked into a cyber café (which also become one of my favorite coffee shops) and e-mailed everyone I knew. At night I went to the local pub and made conversation with the Australian bartenders. This was all good except I was still by myself, unassociated and without. Being anonymous for too long in a city can consume one, yet it's also liberating. Like we need another person to confirm ourselves. Though, I do think everyone should travel at least once in their lives.

I guess that is how I would describe turning 26. I have my family in Boston, and things are going well with B. We're moving in together and her family surprised me with a little celebration on Sunday over Easter lunch, which was really nice. School and work are going well. And I have good friends far and near. But at 26, no one really questions your decisions. You're free to choose to do something without really having to answer to someone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home