Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Playing in the water

My friend Teng wrote last night:

You stand at the shore before the ocean. All you see before you is blue... neverending blue... and yet you only see a piece of the ocean, and a tiny piece at that since you are so small... you think you see it all and you think you know the ocean... but it is only a glimpse of what it really is, the ocean greater than what your eyes can see and what your imagination can fathom... the vastness of that unknown within makes me question my very understanding of myself... of reality as I know it... because...

How well can you really know yourself when you are an ocean of memories?

I say that ocean is bigger then just our memories. I say that ocean of memories is a collective memory of human experiance. It's a collective human consciousness that guides us. Those images and dreams come from somewhere. In sleep, I like to think we let our conscious mind (Frued's definition of the 'ego') rest and our subconscious mind play.

Who is to say that dreams are not reality. When we dream, the reality that presents itself in that dream is as real as any reality that is presented to us in the conscious. Even then some of 'real experiances' can be described as dreams. Have you ever had a sense of De ja vu? or have you smoked a lot of weed and listen to Radio Head?
I had a conversation with a friend last Friday about his dreams. He said he dreamt his grandfather died and he actually woke up and had to call his grandfather just to make sure he was okay.

Dreams are symbolic interpretations of our subconscious fears and desires. They are premonitions. They are mystic. They are a whole other world.

The thougt that you had, Teng, I totally agree with, that we're only seeing a small bit of that great big blue ocean. We're all apart of that collective human conscience, each on seperate currents, waves, and rythms, but essential we're all connected, all fluid, moving and flowing through, over and under eachother. The thought makes me feel small, like looking into a clear night sky with billions of individual stars all part of one picture.


2 Comments:

Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

When I look at the ocean I see 'connectedness'...I see the waves washing our shore, and I think of it washing the shores of other countries far away.

I see this connectedness in many things...the sky...it covers the country I live in, you live in. And the moon, it appears on my night, your night.

And as trite as it sounds...the internet. In the sea of words, somehow, people find a way to connect.

Really good post, Youngnbrave, very inspiring.

P.S. You sure have a lot of good lookin' pals. It's great to see people having fun. Makes me happy. Mood is like a virus, ain't it? It's catching.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Class Officers said...

Thanks, GG. We have a good time. To think of this 'connectedness' as an exchange of ideas and thoughts on the internet is overwhelming. It makes me wonder wonder the next evolution of man will be and how fast that will come. It seems like each time we evolve, it happens more quickly. Take physical evoltion and that spans 3 million years from homo erectus. Societies evolution took modern man 100,000 years. 4,000 years to evolve our science, math, laws, religions. 2,000 years to develop modern society as we know it. 1,000 years and our advances in machine, travel and war. 200 years and we have evolved modern industry. 100 years and we have evolved air and space travel, computers. Computers are continuing to evolve at a super fast pace in the past 25 years. Now think of the internet and these exchange of ideas, thoughts, images and stories. Think of our cross cultural mixing of food and myths. The next evolution will happen right before our eyes and it will be in the mind, in thought and ideas. This idealists thinks we will free ourselves from all preconcieved notions and prejudices. People will have to change their close minded ideals on religion and politics. I think people be able to express themselves more creativly and show soul.

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home